Friday, October 31, 2008

The Breakdown for Oct. 31-- It's scary!

Ok, it's not really that scary, but in honor of Halloween, I had to do something.
It might be a little scary if you're really on the concerned side, though.

McCain had his best day in the polls since Oct. 23. The good news for Obama is the WI has moved back into the Strong Obama after one day in the Weak column. The bad news is that two states moved the other way. Both IN and MT are now in the Barely McCain column, MT moving from tied and IN from Barely Obama. Neither of these states are overly critical to an Obama win, however, so don't be too frightened.

Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to update the site tomorrow morning, and may not be able to get it updated tomorrow at all. In the meantime, here are a few things to help you pass the time:

To get an idea how difficult McCain's quest for PA is, check out this widget. McCain has only lead in a few polls in PA all year, so switching it now will be no easy task.

This widget will let you see the chart, as well as a few other useful visualizations. I especially like the pie chart that beter shows just how big of a lead Obama has. I would be more annoyed that the developer of this widget stole my chart design if he hadn't apparently designed it more than a month before I designed mine.

Finally, the simulator at Election-Projection.net is great for all of us wannabe Nate Silvers. The rest of the site is great also. Should be plenty to keep you busy until I update the site on Sunday.

Thanks to Blues Tea-Cha for all these links.


Obama's EV count in states where he's polling over 50%: 307 EVs.

If the election were held today and...ObamaMcCain
...all McCain <5% went to Obama396142
...all Obama <5% went to McCain311227
Shift since yesterday:-0-0
Shift this week:+15-+6


(See this post for an explanation of these numbers.)

For the raw poll data and more details, see this day's page on Electoral-Vote.com:
Click for www.electoral-vote.com

4 comments:

diogenes99 said...

Trick or Treat! I bring you a nice article on the pessimists: link NY TIMES.

Blues Tea-Cha said...

You scared me, Diogenes. I really thought you were un-dead.
I only read the first page of the nyt article w/o the annoying log-in/nag-in/piss-off. It's sorta like seeing yourself (naked?) in National Geographic, idnit? ;-)

Halloween eye candy: Poll Junkie linked to a state-poll widget (which is nice), but the more EVStrength-like identical twin (mini-me) plus a nice Pie Graph that he (&I) referred to was
http://www.youcalc.com/apps/1218019592041
You can try the vertical-time-axis skinny sidebar variation at
http://www.youcalc.com/apps/1221747067033

Readers probably realized that when they saw the Related apps on that page at YouCalc.

I woke up to this news bite: Arnie Schnauzerschnitzel ridiculing Obama's physique? I think many Americans are insecure about their bodies and probably don't identify with the person who is teasing someone else, but what do I know? I still can't figure why our most populous state needed to recruit an escaped Austrian circus freak to run their political affairs in the first place. Perhaps his is the kind of comment that fires up both sides.

Blues Tea-Cha said...

Oops, I guess Poll Junkie had the right link among the 2. Blueberry pie. The NYT also had an article about the political use of language.

Damien Sullivan said...

I'm curious what the electoral vote counts would look like if strictly proportional to state population, rather than inflated by the 2 senators.